Frey, Edith; Frey, Theo; Garmault, Jean; Holl, Herbert. Pour une Critique de l’Avant-Gardisme: l’Unique et sa Propriete – Suivi de Documents Relatifs a l’Eclatement de l’Internationale Situationniste. Strasbourg: n.p., 1967. 12 p. (+9 loose sheets +2 loose double sheets); 27.3 x 21.6 cm.
Scarce, with only four copies on OCLC (Yale, Michigan, Internationale Institute of Social History, Getty Institute)
Important pamphlet published by a group of recent SI excludees known as the “Garnautins” (Theo Frey, Jean Garnault, Herbert Holl and Edith Frey), and perhaps the earliest documented criticism of the S.I. Includes a pamphlet and 5 documents laid in the back cover: See below :
1) ” Circulaire de l’Internationale Situationniste” signed by Michèle Bernstein, Guy Debord, Mustapha Khayati, Donald Nicholson-Smith, René Vienet concerning the exclusion of Théo Frey, Jean Garnault and Herbert Holl following a meeting of the S.I. dated 15 January 1967 (1 page leaflet)
2) In response, a resignation letter entitled “La Vérité est révolutionnaire”, dated 16 January 1967 and signed by Théo Frey, Jean Garnault, Herbert Holl and Edith Frey (2-page leaflet)
3) Another leaflet entitled “De la merde en milieu situationniste”, dated 19 January 1967. Frey, Garnault and Holl attack Debord and Khayati and claim that they resigned from and were not excluded from the S.I. (3-page leaflet)
4) A photocopy of the supplement to Internationale Situationniste entitled “Attention ! Trois provocateurs”, dated 22 January 1967 and signed by Bernstein, Debord, Khayati, J.-V. Martin, Nicholson-Smith, Raoul Vaneigem, Vienet. Stapled to it is Frey, Garnault and Holl’s response, “Appel à tous les étudiants en état de porter les armes !, produit des « Scheidemann-Noske”, fictitiously signed by the Office des Etudiants de Berlin. Includes original text in German and translation in French
5) “Rien que de la merde, mais toute la merde” offers a more in-depth criticism of the S.I and Debord in particular. It is dated 2 February 1967 (5 page leaflet)